If you decided not to leave college campus for the holiday break this year, there are actually many advantages that you can take advantage of on campus. This post features ideas for spending the holidays on campus and covers some ideas you can take advantage of when the campus is not so full and busy.
If you are staying on campus, here are some ways to make the most of the holidays with fellow students, local students, and faculty for the holidays. These are ways you can have fun with your friends and a great chance to meet new ones:
- Coordinate a dinner or holiday event at a local restaurant. When you host an event, it can be one where each person pays their own way so that there are not extra expenses involved for any one person.
- Host a party at a club or a bar.
- Coordinate with campus transportation to take group shopping trips to local malls.
- Work with school faculty to host movie night, or a low key holiday event.
- Plan ahead for a trip with friends.
- Decorate your dorm or common area. Get the campus into the festive spirit.
Want to use this time to get ahead in school academically and socially? With most students gone from campus, this is the perfect opportunity to get to know professors and other faculty better. The professors and faculty often live nearby campus, so they are not leaving town for the holidays and you can connect with them.
- If you are the studious type, get some extra work done. This can actually be some work done ahead of time and take some of the pressure off of you for the next month. Ask your professors for the curriculum ahead of time, or even an extra credit project.
- Organize and de-clutter your dorm room. Get your living space ready for the winter semester by filing away, or even shipping home school work and projects from the previous semester that you won’t need there taking up the precious little space you already have in your dorm room.
- Scope out your classes and map out the route for next semester.
- Catch up on reading while it’s quiet.
- Connect with local professors and faculty and plan something for the holidays with them.
Parents, if your college student is staying on campus this holiday season, you can send care packages, holiday gift baskets, or cakes, like the ones they sell at OCM.